Wednesday, September 16, 2009

1 YEAR OLD!!!




I can hardly believe my little man is a year old. All day on Sunday I would look at the clock and think back to what I was doing a year earlier. The anticipation, the pain, the excitement, the fatigue...an emotional and physical roller coaster of a ride that lasted 16 hours. And then, he was here....and now, he's a year old.

We celebrated his first birthday party on Saturday at a local park shelter. It was a beautiful day. Baseball was the theme, along with "baseball park" food...including peanuts and Cracker Jacks. Casey, of course, woke up too early, that morning, fell asleep to soon for a nap and was tired for most of his party. BUT, he was a trooper and did well anyway. My mom made a pinata that was split wide open by 8 yr old Sam. Then it was time for the baby's first cake experience. Casey ate the frosting on the cake, but wasn't too interested with the cake itself. He did pretty good at keeping the mess to a minimum....but what else would I expect from my boy?

He received his first haircut at Cookie Cutters a week before the party. When we walked in there was a boy screaming his head off and I started thinking, "I hope Casey doesn't cry". They set him in a car, put on a Sesame Street video, threw a cape around his shoulders and started spraying his head with water... there were no tears. Screaming boy in the next chair was nearly done when Screaming boy II showed up. I thought for sure the wailing would scare Casey and then we'd have another screaming boy, but there were still no tears. Instead he look over at the boys like, "what's the matter with that kid?" He did really well and after it was all done, we got a First Hair Cut Certificate with a picture and a few locks of his hair. He no longer looked like my little baby - he looked like a little boy.

He learned to walk a few weeks back. It started with a couple steps, then several steps, now he walks until he loses his balance. He's still a beginner, holding his hands up for balance, but he's doing well and keeps us on our toes. He's also learned to point with his finger. He points at everything and says, "Dat". So we just name whatever he's pointing at. We like to think he's asking, "What's that?". He's also started stacking objects...very cautiously too. Trying his hardest to place his teether on top of two stacked cups so they don't fall down. Speaking of teether, he does have his two front bottom teeth coming in. They're about halfway. So that makes 4 now. Two top fang teeth and the bottom fronts. Yes, he's our lil' vampire boy. Wish I could catch a picture of him when he smiles real big and all you see are those fangs. It's quite humorous.

Labor Day weekend means the Sweet Corn Festival. Last year I was pregnant and huge...this year I'm pregnant again, just not huge. Casey enjoyed some fresh corn on the cob with daddy since mommy can't stand the smell of corn. I just have a involuntary gag reflex to anything corn. I can't figure out why that is since it was my favorite veggie when I was a little kid. Anyway, we went with Mark's parents and enjoyed the festival food and atmosphere. In fact, Casey and I enjoyed it so much that we went back two days later with some more friends.

Speaking of being pregnant, Baby Boyer II is now 13 weeks and mommy is counting down to week 16. I felt better last time by week 16. I don't feel as miserable as I did with Casey; but, still...I would rather just not feel nauseous at all. Our dr. appt. is coming up and we will have a chance to hear our baby's heartbeat for the first time. I love that sound.

I have a feeling the next 6 mos will fly by like the last year and before we know it Baby Boyer II will be here and Casey will be a big brother. Hopefully he won't smack the baby on the head too much. The little boy is coming out in him...lots of banging, throwing and whacking. Ready or not, here we go!

2 comments:

Lela said...

Wow! I can't believe he's ONE! How neat that the 'electrical power' went down at your place on his first birthday...just like it did the year before. He is 'muy chulo'! Gonna have to get him a 'big brother' shirt soon.

Lela said...

By the way...No video's this time??