Monday, October 13, 2008

ONE MONTH OLD

MY LITTLE MAN


It's hard for me to believe an entire month has passed. I think it's because all of my days run together now with those multiple late night-early morning feedings.

Casey visited the doctor this morning. Dr. D was very pleased with Casey's growth. We now have a 7 lb 10oz baby boy. Dr. D did notice that Casey's head is slightly deformed because Casey prefers to have his head facing the right when he sleeps or when he's in his bouncer. Dr. D told us to prop Casey sideways so he faces the left in order to even out the left side. It's not a considerable deformity...we didn't even notice until Dr. D pointed it out. As long as we stay on top of switching him back and forth, he should have a perfectly shaped little head once all his bones grow together.

This past week, Casey started using his voice. I would say he's in the early stages learning to "coo". He makes some pretty funny noises too, but I don't think he does it on purpose. He began to snort when he cries...it's quite a funny sound. Sometimes we can catch a smile when he's asleep...we call it "happy gas"....since that's all it is. I really can't wait til I get that first smile. I have a feeling my heart will just melt a little more.

I have been amazed at how many diapers we are going through. I've had 3 dirty diapers in one changing! Just when I got the new one on, he went and blew it out, I put on another one and he immediately wet it. It's starting to become the new norm for him. Amazing.

Daddy has done really well adjusting to his new role. I am quite proud of his diaper changing skills, his burping skills, his calm the baby skills, etc. He is a natural with Casey. Although, I still think he has babyphobia when it comes to all other babies.

I have learned to live on very little sleep. The average amount of sleep for the day being about 3-4 hrs. Although, last night Casey slept from about midnight to about 5 am! It was a nice treat for mommy. During the day, I try to get things done during Casey's 1 - 1.5 hr naps. It's hard to sleep when the baby sleeps because there's laundry to be done, rooms to be cleaned and just errands to finish. However, there are many times when I just gather my lil' man up in my arms and we both nap on the couch. I love cuddling with him. It's so relaxing.

Casey's room is finally finished. We made it to the store and finished off the list of things we needed to buy....like a crib mattress...kinda important. Today I hung pictures and shelves and put things in their proper place. It feels good to have that done.

The last month has gone so quickly. I realize that kids grow fast, but does it have to be this fast? I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time when I have to pack away the "newborn" clothes. My little man is a growing boy.

6 comments:

meridith said...

he's so precious! i can't believe it's been a month!!

Lela said...

Wow! I just left him 9 days ago and he's already changing. Boy, I sure do miss him alot, and I kinda miss catering to MY baby girl. Looking forward to seeing him (and mommy)at the end of the month. Uh oh, the eyes are starting to tear up...better quit while I'm ahead.
Te quiero,
Mom aka Lela

Becky said...

He is such a beautiful baby boy! Hope you get some needed sleep. Its coming soon Lorien, think soon lol. Love Yah! and give him kiss's for me.
-Becky

erin said...

I can't believe all that hair!! He's so gorgeous, Lorien...what a perfect little man. :)

I'm glad things are going well...I'll be praying that you are able to get some substantial sleep soon. :)

Give Casey a kiss for me and tell Mark I said hi!!

Love,
Erin

Mrs. Stockman said...

He looks like Krista! Very cute.

-Sarah

Anonymous said...

This is a great way for me to see your handsome young man...he is so precious. David and the kids send their love. Maybe after my second surgery (sometime in the next 2 months) we can come to Columbus for a visit.

Miss you and am so PROUD of you! Casey and Mark are blessed to have you.

-Angelia